On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 22:01, Steve Borho <st...@borho.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Kyle Altendorf <kyle.altend...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 12:44 PM, Steve Borho <st...@borho.org> wrote:
> > <snip>
> >> The downside?  We'd perhaps have less of a right to call ourselves a
> >> "Tortoise" application.
> >> How much does anyone care?
> >
> > About it being a Tortoise application?  Not at all.  About having the
> > handy GUI be accessible from within Windows Explorer?  Very much.  I
> > certainly won't argue that Windows Explorer is better than anything
> > you might create but I feel that the integration into commonly used
> > directory browsers is key.  Sadly, maintaining that feature sure seems
> > to come with a lot of nasty and annoying baggage.
>
> We'll certainly keep the explorer context menu extension, though it
> may be trimmed down.

I guess I might be confused. Are you proposing dropping the shell extension
or its dependency on the TortoiseSVN icon overlay library. I suppose either
way I would be less inclined to use, and I though I would possibly still use
hgtk, I wouldn't be able to recommend thg to my coworkers anymore. The shell
integration (including icon overlays) is a real motivator for adoption on
windows, if it were dropped, there would likely also be a huge drop in usage
on windows.

I realize that the way explorer handles icon overlays is more than a little
stupid, but suggesting that users use a different tool for file management
just wouldn't work. Also, do you really want to have to maintain a full file
manager?

Again I may have completely misunderstood what you are proposing.

--Stefan