Since we will be going to switch to doing *.msi installers,
I'll post what I have learned while doing non-TortoiseHg
Windows installers (this is in no way restricted to using WiX):

Windows installer packages must have product versions in the form

999999.999999.999999.999999
  (A)    (B)    (C)   (D)

That is: 4 groups of digits. No other characters are allowed.

It is possible to specify string version resources, but these are ignored
by Windows Installer (visible in the properties dialog of an exe or dll).

Windows Installer only respects "binary" file versions (as noted above).

Windows installer ignores the fourth group (D).

This means, at least one of A, B or C must be counted up when publishing
a new, regular msi installer for a product, intended to replace all
"previous" installer versions ever published.

Otherwise, users will get an error message of the form "The same
version of this product is already installed" and installation is refused,
meaning they have to manually uninstall before installing the 'update'
(Windows Installer will notice that the two installers are different by
looking at a GUID in the msi, but it will not be able to tell which one
is "newer").

Windows applications usually count up D when doing a new build.

So if a Windows application pushes out a broken 0.9.2.? release, they have
to name the fix 0.9.3.0 (or higher).

Doing a 0.9.2.1 to fix 0.9.2.0 does not work, because Windows Installer
ignores the fourth group when considering updates.