On 01.02.2010 03:24, Steve Borho wrote:
> It's been suggested to me by Matt and others that we should declare a
> 1.0 release soon.  This seems like as good of an excuse as any to
> declare 1.0.0 for the initial MSI installer.

:-)

> This still leaves us problems for nightly builds, it seems.  Assuming
> we keep to our monthly release schedule, I suppose we could number
> stable nightlies from 1.0.50..99 and unstable nightlies from
> 1.0.100..200.  This leaves room for up to 50 "patch" releases, 50
> stable nightly builds, and as many unstable nightlies as we need.
>
> Feels kludgy, but I don't have any better ideas at the moment.

Something like that should probably work, yes.

We can probably pick some higher offsets to separate the nightlies
from regular releases: single version numbers can be in the range
0..65535 (0xFFFF).

So we might do

   1.0.1000, 1.0.1001, 1.0.1002, ..  for stable nightlies
   1.0.2000, 1.0.2001, 1.0.2001, ..  for unstable nightlies
   1.0.0, 1.0.1, 1.0.3 ...       for official releases

Another question is: how do we feed that into the build process?
After all, we currently don't tag nightlies.

I guess you, Steve, wouldn't want to have tags in .hgtags for
nightly builds (e.g. 1.0.1025)?

Some quick testing shows that for example

  hg tag --local 1.0.1025

followed by

  python setup.py py2exe

picks up that local tag and sets 1.0.1025 for the exe's
(see also my other py2exe version fighting).

Hmm. But adding two local tags for stable and unstable nightlies
for the *same* cset only picks up the latest tag...