On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 2:26 PM, Yuki KODAMA <endflow....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 23:12, Steve Borho <st...@borho.org> wrote:
>> There's been some discussions on the Mercurial users list about
>> starting a PyQt port of TortoiseHg.  If we decide to go this route, I
>> have a few suggestions.
>>
>> 1) We mark the current GTK dialogs as "done" in thg-1.1 and switch
>> tortoisehg/hgtk to pure maintenance mode.
>> 2) The hgtk app should be given logic to allow switching between GTK
>> and Qt versions of each command
>> 3) The Qt port should start with the functionality in hgcmd.py and
>> hgthread.py; including colors and progress
>> 4) Then we can start with UI mockups of the GTK apps; only without our
>> existing warts.
>
> Very interesting, I just read the thread of this topic on hg-user ML.
> Does your second suggestion mean that we should have a common
> interface to use Mercurial's features from UI codes of PyGTK and PyQt?

Not necessarily.  I'm not terribly interested in maintaining API
compatibility between ports.  If we start a PyQt port, the intent
should be for it to eventually replace the GTK port entirely.  I
suggest the hgcmd functionality as a starting point so that we learn
the necessary lessons about threading and interfacing between
Mercurial with PyQt up front, before designing more complicated
dialogs.  Also, a nice command shell window can "paper" over missing
GUI functionalities, making the PyQt version usable sooner.

> If we move to PyQt, we won't bother Windows theme problem anymore :-)
> And INADA Naoki (TortoiseBZR maintainer) said some custom GUI components
> can be shared.

That's nice of them.

> FYI: PyQt may support Windows 7 feature: "Jump List" (in 4.7?) [1].
> At least, 4.5 has limited support of "Aero Glass" feature [2].
>
> [1] http://qt.nokia.com/developer/qt-roadmap
> [2] http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2009/09/15/using-blur-behind-on-windows/

I have no doubts Qt will have large improvements over GTK on Windows
and Mac OS X.

--
Steve Borho