On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Steve Borho <st...@borho.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 1:07 AM, Yuya Nishihara <y...@tcha.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yuki KODAMA wrote:
>>>
>>> Great.  The porting of simple dialogs is good starting point, IMO.
>>> But, as Steve said, these dialog porting should be done after constructing
>>> of application base which communicate with Mercurial using threading.
>>> I'll post result or progress of that work to this mailing list when I done
>>> :)
>>
>> Wow, that'll be exciting!
>> I also want to contribute, starting from a small part.
>>
>> Until then, I'll be playing with Qt and hgtk, learn about Qt's model-view
>> architecture, unit testing, etc.
>>
>> BTW, do we use Qt Designer based GUI?
>
> Feel free to use the Qt Designer to get started.  I would prefer not
> to use them for the final dialogs, if possible, because it adds extra
> steps (and tools requirements) on users who use source installs.  If
> someone feels they absolutely need to use machine generated dialog
> files, they should add first intelligence to hgtk to detect missing or
> out of date interface files and build them programatically (pyuic4 has
> a Python interface).

Let's plan on releasing a Qt based TortoiseHg in November as  thg 1.2,
based on Mercurial 1.7.  The initial Qt development should be done
with Mercurial default branch code (what will become hg 1.6).  We want
to use the style labels passed to ui.write() as the basis for all
syntax highlighting.  This includes things TortoiseHg has
traditionally colored manually (diffs, for instance).

If Mercurial isn't providing style labels for output you think needs
coloring, we should send patches to Mercurial.  This way TortosieHg
and the console both benefit, and both are consistent.

Cheers,

--
Steve Borho