I've spent pretty much all day trying to track this down. The debug
cycle time with core 16 in a VM doesn't help :-(

What I can see is that crap comes out of the ZmqReceiver when an object
adapter tries to dispatch an incoming request to the scope. The problem
doesn't manifest itself in the same way on each run. Sometimes, the read
from the socket returns zero bytes, which triggers the "socket was
closed" error.

Other times, the number of bytes read doesn't divide by the word size,
which triggers an "impossible message size" error.

Yet other times, things fall over in the ObjectAdapter::dispatch()
method when something throws during unmarshaling (presumably because the
data that was read is crap), which is reported as "error unmarshaling
request header".

It all points to some problem with zmq not respecting framing boundaries
or indicating that a socket has a message ready to read, but then
delivering incomplete or crap data.

I don't understand at this point why this happens with core 16 and not
on classic. The library versions for zmq match what I have on my
desktop.

I'll try this again tomorrow on classic and see whether I can figure out
what's going wrong by comparing trace.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unity-scopes-api in

  No snaps appear in scope on Core 16

Status in Canonical System Image:
  Confirmed
Status in Unity8 Session Snap:
  Confirmed
Status in unity-api package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in unity-scope-click package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in unity-scopes-api package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  No snaps appear in scope on Core 16 whereas they do appear in unity8
  snap on classic