Phil Leigh;463274 Wrote:
> The only argument against claiming that IC's (of any type) are a
> commodity would be that commodities aren't typically subject to market
> obsolescence - surely?

-Some semiconductor devices are called "jelly beans". High volume, low
cost, low technology. Most would say these are commodities, along with
others for which there are many suppliers, when products are (mostly)
indistinguishable as between sources and the suppliers are unable to set
prices unilaterally. For others, I would say not.

Obsolescence or other product characteristics aren't really relevant
insofar as understanding the concept. It's a pricing and market concept,
nothing more.

Phil Leigh;463274 Wrote:
> Doesn't a commodity require a perpetual market?
-I don't think so, it's merely a pricing concept.

Phil Leigh;463274 Wrote:
> By definition, the wall plate cannot be considered a commodity, since
> its raison d'etre is the Touch which will itself have a finite
> shelf-life...
-No, I think one would say so because there's only one supplier, not
multiple ones.

--
Goodsounds