rotho;470972 Wrote:
> For the moment I have no SB Device, and I was contemplating the
> Transporter, but I am now considering the Touch because I absolutely
> HATE the idea of having my computer (which is located near my Hi-Fi
> system, and which is sometimes quity noisy) ON when listening to music.
>
> So, I am currently in the process of ripping all my CD collection
> (around 2000 albums) in FLAC format. I plan to purchase an external hard
> drive of 1.5 Tb (two hard drives, actually, for backup purpose) and then
> eventually use it with the SB Touch in "standalone" mode. I understand
> that such a storage capacity is not necessary for my collection (around
> 600 Gb should be enough), but my collection will certainly continue to
> grow, and with the Touch 24/96 capability, I will certainly download
> high resolution files which are bigger than CD quality files.
>
> Now, I have a question about the db generated by the Touch : if it is
> stored in the Touch memory, is there a size limit ? I suppose there is,
> of course, but will it be too small for my collection of 2000 CDs ? Or
> can the db be written on the external hard drive itself ?
>
> And has the Touch been tested in "standalone" mode connected to a large
> capacity hard drive, with a huge collection of music ? Are there
> performance issues to be concerned with ?

I have 30k tracks on 2200 albums and the database is 265Mb. Memory
shouldn't be an issue.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB Touch Beta (wired) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W -
MF Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio