On Nov 11, 2009, at 3:05 PM, Pat Farrell wrote:

> gharris999 wrote:
>> Personally, I'd love to see a separate windows app that
>> will scan the NTFS drive and create the SQLite db on the external drive
>> in a cache folder with all the track url fixed up to point to
>> file:///media/sda1/blah blah.  That would save folks the agony of
>> waiting hours and hours for TinySC to scan a big drive.  All the heavy
>> lifting would have already been done by a big CPU machine.
>>
>> SBSTouchPrep.exe.  You know you want one.
>
> This is a very cool idea. Not sure if the mass market consumer will grok
> it at all, but its great. Separation of skills and assignments, use big
> iron to do big iron stuff, use little iron to make it personal.

I have to say this is completely the wrong way to go.  Nobody, especially the
target user for TinySC, wants to care about scanning, a database, or anything!
The use case I want to get to is this:

Plug in USB drive.
Popup on screen "initializing..." or something for a few seconds at most.
My Music -> USB Drive Name
2 menu items:
  "Scan Progress: 1%, 1 hour remaining"
  "Music Folder"
Music Folder -> can browse/play from the music folder structure until the
scanner has finished scanning in the background.
After scanning is finished, the usual Artist, Album, etc menu items are present
in the menu.  Maybe the menu populates as things as scanned like in the regular
server.

Bottom line is, you need to be able to play music off the drive within a very
short amount of time.  The tricky part is the scanner is going to have to run
in the main server process for this to work, due to the limited memory
available.  So we need to get that right, and as fast as possible.  I think we
can get there...