andyg;484306 Wrote:
> The use case I want to get to is this:
>
> Plug in USB drive.
> Popup on screen "initializing..." or something for a few seconds at
> most.
> My Music -> USB Drive Name
> 2 menu items:
> "Scan Progress: 1%, 1 hour remaining"
> "Music Folder"
> Music Folder -> can browse/play from the music folder structure until
> the scanner has finished scanning in the background.
> After scanning is finished, the usual Artist, Album, etc menu items are
> present in the menu.  Maybe the menu populates as things as scanned like
> in the regular server.

Any chance of seeing the return of fully incremental scanning?  You'd
have to do some kind of wrapup at the end of scanning each folder
(operating on the assumption that folders are roughly equivalent to
albums).  After each folder, do an album wrapup, including finding
artwork and compilation determination.  It would make the library much
more usable as each album is scanned.  With a minimal amount of logic,
this could also be optimized.  For instance, if you've just found and
cataloged a new album, there's no need to run the cleanups of stale
data.

Overall, scanning would take a little longer because you're executing
some extra queries at the end of each folder (or even track, if you want
to get that incremental), so maybe it would need to be a scanning
option.

--
JJZolx

Jim