baardbaard;515735 Wrote:
> Wimpey, flimsy, under powered etcÂ…..are you sure you want a debate on
> this topic meaning there is no point in upgrading the SB3 power supply
> from an audiophile point of view?
>
> Or was it just my way of describing the standard PS unit that was
> difficult for you to overcome?

It is not underpowered/wimpy as it delivers 5V @ 2.5 amps which is
exactly what is required. Replacing with a "bigger" (higher current
capability) power supply won't make any difference on its own. Also
there are different versions of the stock PSU and later ones are far
less noisy in terms of radiated RFI. Ultimately the performance is
limited by the internal voltage switching of the SB itself and that VFD
which is a noisy component.

By the way, I'm happy to debate this point. I've measured the audio
performance of the SB3 with different supplies. Have you?

This discussion is best conducted in the Audiophile Forum, where you
will find lots of discussion on the pros and cons of expensive power
supplies and other mods.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB Touch Beta (wired) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W -
MF Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio