I have been informed by the Electronc Media Coordinator for the San
Francisco Symphony that the San Francisco Symphony also sends their
SACDs to HD Tracks.

And this employee of the Symphony admits that HD Tracks rips their
SACDs to create the digital downloads.

HDtracks subcontracts with a studio to do the rip of the SACD’s using a
machine called the EMM Labs ADC8 MKIV converter.  This machine converts
the SACD’s DSD format to a PCM format of 24/44.1.  That is a technical
restriction of the machine whose specifications are limited by the
intellectual property rights of Sony, which invented the SACD
technology.  This resulting file is then upsampled from 44.1 to 88.2 by
HDtracks’ studio before being sold to the public at 24/88.2.

The problem with upsampling is that the fidelity will not be as good as
material originally recorded at 24/88.2.  Thus in my opinion, HDtracks
is giving the public the impression that the fidelity is better than it
actually is.

Hdtracks can sell music in whatever resolution it wants. The issue is
whether Hdtracks has made a full disclosure of the source of the master
and the conversion process for the downloadable file that it does sell.

I don’t believe there has been full disclosure.

In addition, when I pointed this out the San Francisco Symphony, the
Electronc Media Coordinator at the Symphony stated: “This is an issue
for HD Tracks customer service”.

Apparently the San Francisco Symphony (or at least its Electronc Media
Coordinator) doesn’t care about the issue.

--
mortslim