usch;537738 Wrote:
> they must be doing something really weird, like keeping the entire
> database record for each track in memory.

That sounds to me like it's exactly what they're doing. It's nuts.

I don't know what Squeezebox Server playlists are like, but look at
this m3u playlist created by WinAmp:

> #EXTM3U
> #EXTINF:224,Daft Punk - Harder Better Faster Stronger
> \Documents and Settings\Me\My Documents\My Music\MP3\Daft Punk - Harder
> Better Faster Stronger.mp3
> #EXTINF:199,The Clash - London Calling
> \Documents and Settings\Me\My Documents\My Music\MP3\The Clash - London
> Calling.mp3
> #EXTINF:418,UB40 - Rat In Mi Kitchen
> \Documents and Settings\Me\My Documents\My Music\MP3\UB40 - Rat In Mi
> Kitchen.mp3

That's an entire m3u playlist for three songs. According to its
Windows' properties, it's taking up 410 bytes for the 3 tracks. That
means a 1000 track playlist would likely take up only 133K. Plus, you
don't even need to open the entire playlist in memory simultaneously.
All you have to do is know your place in the file, then seek to the
next item in the playlist and load that item into memory.

I bet they're loading the entire playlist into memory, plus all the
track info for each playlist track, plus album cover images for each
track. You'd have to do something retarded like that to run into
performance problems.

--
hawaiijim