servies;537951 Wrote:
> Or (and this happens more often than you would expect) they try to
> obscure their use of it or try to fight the GPL... In the end they
> fail...
>
> Indeed, I don't.
> GPL is simple: if you want to take something from the community and
> distribute the result, you have to give back to the community. That's
> how you 'pay' the community. If you don't want to pay, then don't
> take...

The problem with GPL is that it spreads like a virus, if you want to
tightly integrate your already existing code with something released
under GPL you will have to release the source for your code also under
GPL even though it was originally released under some other license.
This makes it hard or even impossible to use GPL stuff in some
projects, LGPL is a bit better in this regard.

Also, if someone use GPL they just have to release their modifications
to people that purchase your product, so there is no guarantee that it
will go back to the community. The customers of the product are of
course allowed to send it back to the community but they don't have to
and the community can't get the source unless they purchase the
product.

I think many individual developers start to use GPL just because it's
what they heard about even though they really don't know what it means.
I know this was the case once when I started doing open source
development.

Many people also believe that using GPL will make sure no one else can
earn money on your work, this really isn't the case. GPL just says that
when you sell the software you will need to make the source code
available to the customer (not the community).

Using GPL can also make it problematic to use commercial libraries in
your source that provides useful functionality. If I've understood this
correctly I think this differs a bit depending on if you use GPLv2 or
GPLv3. Look at Linux and DRM for example, GPL makes it really hard to
mix them, at least it really scares the music/movie industry. I'm not a
fan of DRM but I'd prefer to be able to play DRM protected material on
my normal computer instead of having to have setup a separate Windows
machine to be able to.

For individual open source developers, releasing stuff under GPL makes
some sense, for a company releasing stuff under GPL just creates a lot
of problems. I think the individual developer are often worried that
someone is going to "steal" his stuff, go closed source and earn money
on it without returning their modifications to him. The company on the
other hand wants to make sure anyone can help them improving the
product without being restricted regarding what commercial stuff they
can integrate with their product.

--
erland

Erland Isaksson
'My homepage' (http://erland.isaksson.info) (Install my plugins through
Extension Downloader)
Custom Scan,  Custom Skip, Multi Library, Title Switcher and Database
Query plugins'
(http://wiki.erland.isaksson.info/index.php/Category:SlimServer))