> if you want to tightly integrate your already existing code with
> something released under GPL you will have to release the source for
> your code also under GPL even though it was originally released under
> some other license.

That's only true if you want to distribute it to other people, because
the GPL is a hack on the copyright laws.  You don't normally have the
right to make a copy of code and give it to someone else, but the GPL
grants you that additional permission if you follow its restrictions.
That's why the GPL is binding, because only accepting the license gives
you the right to distribute GPL code.

Internally, you can do anything you like with GPL products.  You can
link it directly into Windows if you want.  The GPL only kicks in when
you give your code to someone else.  If your distributed product
contains GPL code, then ALL the code with the product typically needs
to be under the GPL as well.  As long as you're not giving it to anyone
else, the GPL doesn't apply.  And if code you distribute doesn't contain
any pieces of GPL code, then it also doesn't apply.  You're free to put
whatever license you want on your own code, as long as you're not
shipping GPL code as part of it.  And you only have to give your code
to people that you actually give your binaries to, not any random Joe
Schmoe off the street.  If you can trust your customers not to
distribute something further, you can still keep GPL code mostly
secret.

In other words, it's only "viral" if you're depending on GPL code to
make some final product.  Presumably, you're using the GPLed code
because it would be too expensive to either write it yourself or pay
for a commercial equivalent, and you pay for your use of that code by
contributing your own to the GPL universe.  If you don't want to do
that, then don't distribute GPL code as part of your product, and you
avoid the problem completely.

It is, in my opinion, an extremely fair license, but if you think the
price of distributing it is too high, you can use BSD code, or pay
money for a commercial equivalent instead.

--
Malor