coma;540961 Wrote:

> Since I haven't received my Touch yet I have nothing to load erlands
> patch to. In the meantime I was going to build some McIntosh style vu
> meter images, and make them available... but only if the vu meters are
> similarly responsive to the VU meters on the SB3 and Boom.

Unfortunately they are not, both the analog vu meter and the spectrum
meter in SB3 is a bit faster than on the Touch. However, the color
screen on the Touch makes its analog VU meter look more appealing.

I'm not sure if the problem is that the images currently only can
contain 25 angles or if it's caused by the Touch limited CPU. I'm not
running TinySC so I'm guessing it might be slow with TinySC active but
maybe someone else is running TinySC and can inform us how the VU
meters look like when it's active.

There is probably a lot of improvement potential regarding the
performance, I suspect no one have spent time trying to optimize the
code yet.

If you like completely accurate VU meters the current version on the
Touch isn't good enough IMHO. However, they work good enough if you
just want something that moves almost in sync with the music.

If you like images, this is the analog VU meter image used for the
Touch. It's an image containing the 25 supported meter positions and
only two of the sub images are shown side by side on the screen
simultaneously.
http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jive/7.5/trunk/squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay/share/applets/WQVGAsmallSkin/images/UNOFFICIAL/VUMeter/vu_analog_25seq_b.png

The images created by jstraw looks a bit better IMHO.
coma;540961 Wrote:

> I couldn't find any video clips of any VU meters running on the Touch,
> so thought I'd ask if someone could take a few moments and post a video
> of theirs.

Unfortunately I don't have a video camera that's fast/good enough to
record them.

--
erland

Erland Isaksson
'My homepage' (http://erland.isaksson.info) (Install my plugins through
Extension Downloader)
Custom Scan,  Custom Skip, Multi Library, Title Switcher and Database
Query plugins'
(http://wiki.erland.isaksson.info/index.php/Category:SlimServer))