Hi rotho,
thanks for the detailed info.

The perl line is the actual server, its written in perl so the process
is actually the perl interpreter running the server code. Jive is the
player (now known as squeezeplay). The Server reads the files and sends
the data to the player which decodes it and sends the raw data to the
jive_alsa process which sends it to the hardware. All three have to be
up and running and getting their share of CPU cycles to make the
process work.

Its very interesting that the server is running so much higher cpu with
the HDD as opposed to the USB stick. Does the server stay at around this
number all the time or does it only occasionally get that high?

If its running that high most of the time, I would think the next step
would be to run some profiling on the perl code to see where its
spending its time. I've never done that so someone else who is more
familiar with perl profiling will have to help with that.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson