Thanks John for replying.

The intent here is to have the touch on, the usb drive attached all the
time for normal day to day use after the three scan phase etc.

But to get to the 'normal day to day pahse' I have to do the
following:

1. Initial Touch setup...connect, account etc, update firmware.
2. With touch ON, attach usb drive.
3. Tiny Server OS startsm USB drive attaches.
4. Wait for the three scans to complete.
5. Unattach USB via touch.
6. Power OFF Touch by unplugging power.
7. Wait for a few minutes.
8. Plug power to Touch, wait for a few mintues.
9. Attach USB, let it attach.
10. Wait for a hopefully quick invisible scan to complete. I looked
under advanced here and found the server status where is said it found
nothing or the scan was complete.
11. Play Music.

>From this point on your telling me to leave the touch ON all the time
and to leave the USB drive ON and attached all the time.

This is what I want...

So more questions:

1. Will the touch in default settings just go to sleep? or do I have to
press the sleep button?

2. Does the sleep mode do the same thing as pressing the red power
button on the remote??? If not what is the difference? Why one vs the
other?

Once we get thru the inital pain of scanning I would like to know how
to leave the touch and how to start playing music from the usb drive
with the least amount of pain.

Normally I would press the red button and walk away and then later
press it again to 'turn' it back on etc...play music. So why sleep
mode?

Maybe once a month add new music to the USB drive, but just go thru the
quick scan cycle.

I am going to test with a solid state drive via an powered USB
attachment to see if the scans will be any faster, no noise from a
spinning drive! I know the bottleneck will be the USB 2.0 bandwidth and
the Touch CPU/TinyOS.
I will let you know how this goes.

Thanks
Alex