Canvio on order per iPhone's recommendation.  I'll report whether I have
the same success.

The drive list is just what I was looking for.  I would be nice if a
list of known to work configurations were compiled and included library
size, file format, etc. I have confidence that the embedded server can
be made to work against large libraries.  Though I don't know anything
about the system internals, the size of the music library should be
largely irrelevant.  The challenge seems to me to dial in the right
configuration and this thread has been very helpful.

--
asher