I mentioned some problems I was having with the internal server in this
thread and a Toshiba Canvio drive was recommended.  I got one and am
happy to report my problems seem to have cleared.

Specifically, I went from a Seagate FreeAgent Go Portable External USB
2.0 500GB Hard Drive to a Toshiba Canvio Plus 750GB USB 2.0 Portable
External Hard Drive.  Neither drive is externally powered.  My library
is about 10,000 songs in a mix of AAC, MP3, and FLAC.  One thing that
is different in the new setup is that the drive has just audio files.
My problematic drive had a bunch of non-media files, too.

While I am not claiming to know the perfect recipe, using a hard drive
"known to work"  by others in this forum seems to have helped me.  I am
also relieved that the internal server isn't inherently limited to a
small library.  Again, luck may differ, but for me things are looking
up.

--
asher