Thanks. Checked all those. I went through the default conversions and
syncing. I even went so far as to turn up logging for a while to see if
I could spot anything obvious (without being familiar with the code base
etc.). All looked normal. The only process using CPU is the main perl
script. I am starting to suspect some sort of string parsing / XML /
whatever. I also have suspicions about album art, but I am reasonably
certain that at least one of the albums I was playing had no artwork.

Once I get some time I am going to try doing some basic profiling but
it's been quite literally years since I hit any 3rd party perl with
DProf and there's this new thing NYTProf (?) that looks interesting...

--
Peter Galbavy