I am using my Touch almost exclusively with a directly-attached USB
drive. I have a number of downloaded 24 bit files from Linn, HDtracks,
Analekta, the Classical shop etc, together with 16 bit flac downloads
and rips. Obviously I get the stuttering problem. But that is not the
end of it: I am getting fed up having to deal with a host of
interrelated propblems.
1. the Touch sometimes crashes altogether when playing 24 bit tracks,
very occasionally 16 bit flac (doesn't really seem to happen with MP3s
or WMAs). It actually turns off and reboots, rescans, sometimes tells
me it now can't see the usb drive (which probably got as upset as i did
with having its power turned off).
2. Sometimes it just stops playing without crashing
3. This probelm seems to happen far more often when using Ipeng, but it
does happen controlling the touch manually.
3A. It also seem to happen more often if you try to change the album
while its playing rather than stopping it, deltign the playlist and
then satarting again. Especially in Ipeng but manually too.
4 The Touch seems to paicularly dislike my Linn 24 bit download of the
Bach St Matthew Passion from Linn. This has 100 tracks in one album .
It is not particularly fond of the Hyperion complete Schubert Lieder
edition in 16 bit flac which appears as one album too, even though it
consists of 37 cds and 800 odd tracks.
5. The Touch also seems to randomly refuse to recognise the usb drive
from time to time and says it can't read it.
6. I have noticed that using Ipeng and when accessing manually (but to
a lesser extent) it seems to hang while searching sometimes. Even with
my relatively modest 6500 tracks no search = what is the bloody point
of this thing anyway?

The whole thing is beginning to annoy me. I appreciate that my concerns
go slightly beyond the topic of this thread, but is pointing me to the
following conjecture: I am begining to suspect that the Touch is not
really up to to running as a stand-alone player and server at present.
I don't know Whether this is because it is underpowered or because the
resident squeezeserver is too buggy, but I just don;t think it's quite
up to the job. I am guessing that the problem with HD files or big
playlists or finding files on the usb drive or interrupting what its
doing or even Ipeng are probably just aspects of that problem.

I am having problems with my PC at present so I can't compare very
effectively running the software ion a separate server. I am getting a
QNAP TS 239 NAS in the hope that the touch will work properly with it.
If not I am likely to lose patience with it.

--
adamdea