I recently purchased a Squeezebox Touch, and this is my 1st experience
of such devices. I have an external storage device (a Seagate External
drive) on which I have the equivalent of 2,500 CD's of music files
saved in FLAC format (they take up 1TB of the 1.5TB External Drive
capacity).

I am running a high spec Dell PC with 2.4GHz processor and 2GB RAM,
using Windows XP.

As per the manufacturers instructions I downloaded the Touch software
from the Logitech wesbite www.mysqueezebox.com.

I then set up the software to scan the files on my External Drive. This
process took over 8hrs. I can "see" the music files on the Touchscreen
device, but the playback quality of the audio is very disappointing
(there is a lack of depth and tonal range to the output). The output
levels into my HiFi pre-amp also seem  very low (I connected the Touch
to the AUX inputs on my Quad 66 Preamp)as I have to turn up the volume
on both the Touch device (I have set it to the maximum setting of 100)
and on my HiFi to get any reasonable level of sound coming out of the
system.

When I select the Touch software and open the Server "Control Panel"
there don't appear to be any adjustments I can make to the software, so
I am puzzled as to the cause of the poor quality of the audio output.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can check whether I have set
things up properly?

Thanks

--
aefrey