aefrey;575064 Wrote:
> Yes, the USB drive is connected directly to the PC. Also the Touch
> volume is set at 100 (the maximum).
>
> As a test, I also set the Server Control Panel to scan music files
> stored on another external drive that I own (a 400GB Maxtor drive which
> I used to back up my PC files). Again it took several hours to complete
> the scan. This drive has back-up copies of mp3 files which are stored
> on my PC. I was told by a friend that the scan of music files should
> not take that long, so I am puzzled as to why I have to wait so long
> for the scanning process to complete?

I have a very large music library (99.9% flac with covers) stored an
external USB hard drive and a complete clear and rescan of my music
library, including scanning of the covers takes well over 8 hours. The
scan takes more in the neighborhood of 10 to 11 hours with the art work
scan taking 5 of those hours. So I fully understand why aefrey's scan is
taking 8 hours and I can reassure him (I'm guessing that aefrey is male)
that there's nothing wrong with the hardware or software.

Phil please understand that I don't mean to start a flame war but I've
always found the Squeezebox server scans to be painfully slow, although
the scan times have improved with each new version of the software and
each upgrade to my hardware. And all my initial music library scans
have taken 8 hours or more once I had over 2,000 CDs ripped and stored
as flac files.

Now the poor sound quality does have me puzzled since the analog output
of the Touch is quite good and on par with CD players costing several
time the Touch list price. May I suggest that you try using the Touch's
digital output into an external DAC and see if the sound improves. If it
does then I would say the Touch's DAC or analog circuity is at fault.

--
ralphpnj

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels -> Snatch -> The Transporter ->
Transporter 2 (oops) -> Touch