JohnSwenson;576105 Wrote:

> Do NOT try this for signal carrying transformers. They have resonances
> too, but dealing with them in such a way as to not muck up the audio
> signal is not trivial. Most good audio designers will have already
> dealt with the resonances in an audio transformer, its just power
> transformers that seem to have been neglected.
>
> John S.

Sorry John but this is misleading. Why, with none valve amps would you
ever need signal transformers from pre-amps to power amp stages wrt to
audio?

Valve amps along with their output transformers introduce second
harmonic distortion and are more "classy" in looks than practical as
MOSFET amps are far more linear.

Transformers in a signal path are for impedance matching. Ideal for RF
circuits when other factors are predominant and as these signals are
often on a RF "carrier", sub carrier resonances are not an issue, but
with audio...reserved for amplifiers with high output impedance
commonly associated with output stages of germainium transistors and
valves to drive low impedance speakers

With modern electronics they have no place. Input amps with KOhms of
impedance and MOSFET/silicon transistor output stages with near zero
output impedance have no need for transformers.

I have never seen a modern amp with signal transformers in their audio
path.

--
Waldo Pepper