Hi there all!

I guess this might be a question of quite general interest...

I'm kind of a disappointed newcomer. Just bought a Touch and expected
too much of the word "audiophile" used in Logitech's publicity for the
Touch. I ripped my CDs using "EAC", so the most accurate way I know of,
lossless compressing of course, and they still sound way better over my
CD player (Creek CD50 MKII) than over "touch". Of course I was a bit
naive believing to get something similar out of that pretty low budget
device, I know, so please no comments on that. And I still like it for
mp3 radio...

However, I want to try to make most of it using a DAC that fits right.
I connected a E-MU 0404 that I already had for recording purposes,
using coaxial, but it did not help, sounded almost the same.

I read in some (pro-)review (German STEREO, 07/2010), that connecting
even a very highly priced DAC (Music Hall DAC 25.2) over S/PDIF would
not better the sound much. So here comes my questions...:

1. Has anyone noted a important improvement using an external DAC?
Which DAC, and how is it connected?

2. What is, technically speaking, closer to the "naitive" format used
by the touch, S/PDIF or USB? I mean, with which connection could one
by-pass more of the potentially low cost/quality audio components built
into the Touch? With other words: A decent USB-to-S/PDIF converter costs
about the same price as the entire Touch, so in case, USB transports the
"naitive" signal, some USB-to-SPDIF converter is used inside the touch,
and probably its not of the best quality.

3. To conclude: If I have to buy a new DAC that I want to choose
particularly for the use with Squeezebox, what is the best choice, USB
or SPDIF - and which one?

Some of the DACs I am considering out of the 100s available:
devilsound DAC
KECES DA 131 (spdif) or DA 151 (usb)
v-dac
arcam rdac
DacMagic
Beresford TC 7510
Solisto 8100 DAC-4all
Pro-ject USB DAC BOX
Tube Magic D1 DAC
Little Dot DAC
MUSILAND SVDAC05
YULONG DAH1 MARKII
VALAB 8x TDA1543 NOS DAC
... now how the hell to figure out which is best for the money...???

Thank you! Diego

--
diego