ralphpnj;582372 Wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Nice review with no factual errors that I could find but one glaring
> omission: no mention of the Touch's ability to play 24bit/88.2&96kHz
> files. Sure that ability won't mean all that much to potential buyers
> with lots of CDs to rip but as high resolution downloads become more
> widely available this functionality assures the buyer that the Touch is
> at least somewhat future proof.

And, I can vouch for that capability having just downloaded my very
first 24/88.2 (flac) from HDtracks, yesterday---because I could
(!)-----and I wanted to see if the additional quality was really
audible.  It was an entire Mahler symphony, so it did take quite a long
while to download---maybe about 1.5 hrs over our DSL connections.  But,
it played perfectly and I did enjoy the additional bump up in quality.
As you'd mentioned previously, raplhpnj, it was not night and day, but
noticeable.  The thing that I heard first was the bigger, deeper
soundstage....easier to imagine being in the concert hall...plus just
that added bit of detail in the voices and instruments.  Very nice all
in all.  I'm looking forward to lots more material being available in
24/88 & 96.

--
rgro

Rick

System information
Touch w/Hardware V 5, SBC running 7.5.1 r9009.  Controller and Touch
configured in all-wireless set-up using Netgear WNDR 3700.

Running Squeeze Server 7.5.1 r30836  on Windows 7 64 bit/ HP Pavillion
w/Intel i7 processor

Marantz PM8003 integrated amp, Cambridge Audio DacMagic, Vienna
Acoustics Mozart Grand speakers, REL Acoustics R305 sub-bass, PS Audio
Quintet.