This has happened several times to me. What I've found is that the
previous system either had some resonances or distorted with loud
signals. For example a system that distorts with loud transients will
sound bad with wide dynamic range uncompressed music but sound quite
good with compressed music. Then you get a system which can handle loud
transients well and all of the sudden the stuff that sounded bad before
now sounds incredible and the stuff you liked before now sounds flat
and boring in comparison.

I had a major issue with that with my vinyl system. At one point I got
a screaming good deal on a really good cartridge, installed it and set
it up properly and sat down, waiting to be impressed and found most of
my favorite LPs now sounded terrible. It eventually turned out that the
new cartridge was extracting so much more stuff from the records that
other parts of the system couldn't handle it. I had to upgrade several
other parts of the system before things really started sounding good
again. That bargain cartridge turned out to be a lot more expensive
than I thought! (but it did eventually wind up sounding way better than
before)

John S.

--
JohnSwenson