ralphpnj;584106 Wrote:
> I haven't noticed any change one way or the other in the sound of the
> Touch's digital output over time.
>
> Thanks for the cloud computing suggestion. I looked into Amazon's S3
> service and instantly got a monster headache when trying to figure out
> the cost. See if you can make some sense (cents:)) out of this:
> http://calculator.s3.amazonaws.com/calc5.html

To simplify it a bit for you, let me just say that I'm using the Amazon
S3 and I'm being billed at the rate of 15 cents per gigabyte per month.
This amounts to $1.80 per year. For that cost, I can store at least 3
CDs (in FLAC format) and stream them from anywhere in the world. I
prefer to keep my hand-picked favorite music out in the cloud (in
addition to my hard copies -- i.e. the originally purchased CDs, plus
the soft copies on my auxiliary storage at home/office).

To my mind, the convenience and the extra peace of mind (never need to
worry about safety backups and the headaches associated with restoring
your data warehouse if the disc crashes/CDs get damaged), are worth the
added expenditure.

Also keep in mind that the prices are bound to go down -- there will
never be a point in the future when it will cost you more to store your
content in the cloud than it's costing you today.

--
magiccarpetride