Sorted.

I  used this (from "Soundcheck"'s post elsewhere) which got SoX up and
running and upsampling my Flacs to 88.2.

flc flc * *
        # FT:{START=--skip=%t}U:{END=--until=%v}
        [flac] -dc --totally-silent $START$ $END$ -- $FILE$ | [sox] -v0.9 -D
-q -t wav - -t flac -C0 -b24 - rate -v -s -M -a 88200

flc flc transcode *
        # FT:{START=--skip=%t}U:{END=--until=%v}
        [flac] -dc --totally-silent $START$ $END$ -- $FILE$ | [sox] -v0.9 -D
-q -t wav - -t flac -C0 -b24 - rate -v -s -M -a 88200

ANY THOUGHTS OR COMMENTS ON THIS CONFIG? ANYTHING OBVIOUS THAT COULD BE
TWEAKED?
I'M LOOKING FOR MAXIMUM SOUND QUALITY - AREN'T WE ALL THOUGH? :)

There are other optimisations in the custom-convert file which are
good.Dont understand them all fully, but not sure I have to..
I'm happy to trust someone more knowledgable who's looked into it in
detail!
I've used Soundcheck's Touch software mods to good efect, which turn
off wifi, unneccessary startup services etc.
This approach seems reasonable given the Touches limited horsepower and
I'm happy to go with this upsampling config, as it seems to do what I'm
looking for.

I can always tweak it as time goes on, as and when I learn more about
Sox implementation..:)

One question though, in Advanced/File Format settings, under Flac I now
have "Sox/Flac" and "Disabled" as my two options.
If I set to "disabled", with the Sox upsampling be done on my server
and not the Touch itself?
and is it a case of that to set Flac to "Sox/Flac" means the conversion
is done on the Touch itself?

Which option is preferrable you think?
I'm asking from the view that the less the Touch has to do (i.e.
transfer as much number crunching to the server pc as possible)is
better - and ties in with the Software mods reducing the load on the
Touch CPU and memory as possible.

Thanks again guys for the help...

--
Gazjam