Gazjam;584411 Wrote:
> Thanks Phil.
>
> 1) Cheers, job done.
>
> 2) So the Touch cant output 88.2? Is there any links or anything on the
> Wiki about this?
> I always thought the Touch could output 88.2k...is this only if the
> original file is at that rate?
>
> I've read up a bit on this and my preference would be for 88.2k output
> rather that 96k if poossible?
> At least until I can listen to them both and compare.
> How do you mean Phil "code changes to the server"..is this something
> that can be done?
> Or even SHOULD be done? :)
>
> 3) Good,that means leaving settings at Sox/Flac and forgetting about
> it!
> (you'll be pleased to know ;))
>
> 4) How am I doing that? I dont have any 24/192 material anyway...just
> curious?
> *EDIT* I removed the flc flc Transcode entry, not needed. Thanks for
> pointing that one out Phil.
>
> 5) See point 3!
>

> ta.

Gaz,

The Touch CAN output 88.2 in the following circumstances:
1) you are playing a 176.4 file - it will be downsampled by SOX to 88.2
assuming you haven't fiddled with the FLAC Transcode entry in
convert.conf
2) You have set convert.conf to force EVERYTHING to 88.2
3) You are playing an 88.2 file and have not altered your convert.conf
settings

Upsampling on the Touch is a waste of time with MOST Dacs IME. Many
recent dacs upsample internally anyway via ASRC these days - even if
you feed them high sample rates... There are only a handful of DACs
that would theoretically benefit - ones with no internal upsampling.

The way that the SBS code works is that it gives you two "choices":
1) the basic convert.conf entry which is the FLC FLC * entry. This does
nothing to any files that are 96k or less for the Touch.
2) the FLC FLC Transcode entry - this uses SOX to downsample 192 to 96
and 176.4 to 88.2

Beyond those default settings, all you can do is force one or both of
these choices to a fixed rate (e.g. in your case 88.2).

What you can't do without real code changes to the server software is
to be selective - you can't say (for example) "On a Touch, leave 88.2
and 96 files alone but upsample 44.1 or 48 to 88.2"

At the moment you are forcing 96k to 88.2. I really REALLY wouldn't do
this. You are losing information for no good reason. There is no DAC on
the market (that I know of) that can do 88.2 but not 96...

If you really feel that 44.1 upsampled to 88.2 is a clear audible
improvement, I would take a long hard look at your DAC choice.

Regards
Phil

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend
Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect
cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.