The Squeezebox Touch has an internal music server which allows you to
connect a USB disk to the touch and then stream from that.
You say you have a large collection, and the concern is that the server
capability of the Touch is somewhat limited, and the performance with a
"very large CD collection" may not be that great.  That prompted the
suggestions to run an external server.  The Vortexbox Appliance is a
pre-built Linux computer with the Squeezebox server software
pre-installed, as well as pre-configured ripping engine.  It also works
like a NAS in that it sits on your network and is available as a file
server.
Many NAS solutions are able to run Squeezeboxserver, but are rather
underpowered for this application.  A full-fledged computer setup as a
file server generally works better.  The Vortexbox is relatively low
power consumption.  The reviews of many users on this forum is very
positive.  I run a "DIY" server, but it has similar hardware to the
Vortexbox, and it works excellent.
As far as storage requirements for FLAC files, I don't have actual
numbers handy, but FLAC compression should be about 30-40%, so for a 45
minute CD that should result in about 400 Mbytes (if my math is
correct).  You say "compressed" vs. "uncompressed", but FLAC IS
compressed.  There are different compression levels available, but -5
compression is the normal and is suggested.  The benefit with FLAC is
it is LOSSLESS compression- that is, when uncompressed you end up with
IDENTICAL information.  That is not the case with MP3 for example,
where there is some information loss involved in the compression.

--
tcutting