tmauceri;588956 Wrote:
> I believe the VBA is the way I want to go. I don't want to have another
> computer running etc. I am not interested in streaming to other areas
> of my home. The VBA and SqueezeBox will be in my equipment cabinet with
> all my other components including my wireless router. Can I connect the
> SB to the VBA via USB or will I have to stream? What type of display
> does the VBA have? Can I output the display to my plasma?
First, do you realize that the VBA is "another computer"? It happens to
be less power hungry than a lot of computers, but it's a computer
nontheless.

The SB connects to the VBA through your router. If they are all in the
same cabinet then it's best to use ethernet (wired) connections for
router<-->VBA and router<-->SB.

The VBA has no display of its own. It has a VGA video output. I'm not
sure of the specs on the video card, but I assume it is pretty basic.
That is partly how they keep the power consumption down. My server uses
the same basic hardware as a VBA, and when I need to attach a monitor my
19" LCD TV works fine with the VGA connection. But if your plasma is
very big or you're looking for HD video, then VBA's video probably
cannot deliver.

Also, if your Touch is in a cabinet, how do you plan to control it?
There are good options that don't require physical access to the Touch
(eg, iPhone, iPod Touch, Android phones, SB Controller, another pc).
But just wanted to make sure you had thought of that.

--
aubuti