iPhone;596625 Wrote:
> Now really, you don't think that if the actual builders of the device
> could improve things by simply changing the code that they won't?! Get
> real!
>
> If one wants to "imagine" that they hear a difference afterwords, then
> by all means software mod away if it makes one think they are getting
> more for their money or out of the unit.

Except that in this case "changing the code" does things like turn off
the wireless module, which is something the developers would never do.

"The developers" are NOT trying to make the best sounding device they
can. They are trying to include a certain feature set, hit a certain
price point, and at the same time get a sound quality level that
matches the MARKETING goals. By definition, they have to make
compromises that affect ultimate SQ. The Touch was not designed for
"the best sound we can get". It was designed to get the best sound we
can, while including all the features we need for a product with broad
market appeal,and we have to hit the MSRP of $300 so the mass market
will buy it.

Conversely, many mods are done on the basis of "lets go for better SQ,
even if we lose one of the software or hardware features" - because we
don't care about those features. In an earlier discussion of these
mods, someone wrote that they couldn't understand the point of a mod
that "turned off the screen" of the Touch. "Why buy the Touch, then?",
they asked. But that mod could make sense for someone who has no
intention of using the Touch screen in their setup, and sits too far
from the Touch for the display to be useful. That person bought the
Touch for its OTHER features, and the screen wasn't important to them.

I modded my Touch in a way that eliminated the analogue out and
replaced it with clocks/connectors to a master clock. Do I care? No,
b/c I had no intention of using the Touch as anything other than a
digital transport/user interface. Logitech would never make a mod like
that, as it would limit their customer base to owners of external DACs
and master clocks - a very small market segment. Does the mod improve
the sound? Definitely.

If you do care about those features, don't try the mods that eliminate
them. If those features don't matter to you, consider giving the mods a
try.

--
firedog

Tranquil PC fanless WHS server running SqueezeServer; SB Touch slaved to
Empirical Audio Pace Car; KRK Ergo, MF V DAC3, MF X-150 amp, Devore
Gibbon Super 8 Speakers; Mirage MS-12 sub; Dual 506 + Ortofon 20
(occasional use); sometimes use PC with M-Audio 192 as digital source.
SB Boom in second room. Arcam CD82 which I don't use anymore, even
though it's a very good player.