soundcheck;601476 Wrote:
> More people seem to have a problem to copy a file from a to b.
>
> I assumed this would not be any different or more complex then
> using MS explorer.
>
> Totally lost!?!? Come on, you must be kidding.
>

> When logging in to the Touch you login as user "root".
> That's why you end up in the "/root" directory first.
> From here we need to go one directory level up -- you just
> doubleclick on the single folder icon on the right hand side of that
> WinScp
> file browser.
> Then you'll see several directories showing  up e.g /usr /sys /var /tmp
> asf. on the right side. Now you're in the "/" directory. Almost done.
> :D
>
> Now you change directory on the PC side (left) of that WinSCP browser
> to pick your downloaded toolbox file where you downloaded it and just
> drop it into the right side. You're done.
>
> Now you just continue to run all the commands as described from 1.2.5
> onwards.
>
> Best: copy/paste those listed commands.

For me, it was moving up one in the root directory that wasn't clear.
I easily copied the file over to the directory that came up on the
right side of the browser window (and you have to remember to set the
browser window to Commander mode, otherwise you only get one pane) but
that was, of course, the wrong directory. I finally figured out that I
needed to go up a directory, put the file there and, voila, all was
good from there on.

When you're completely unfamiliar with this stuff, nothing is obvious.
Sometimes, when you work with something every day or know it inside and
out, it's really hard to see that something that is completely
automatic for you could really befuddle somebody seeing it for the
first time.  That's why a good technical/manual writer is worth their
weight in gold....can forestall hundreds/thousands of tech support
emails, calls, name-calling, etc. ;>).  You did great,
Soundcheck...just needed a few tweaks for us noobs----like anything
else does.

--
rgro

Rick

System information
Main: PS Audio Quintet > Touch (wireless) > CA DacMagic > Marantz
PM8003 > VA Mozart Grands > REL Acoustics R305.

Home Theatre:  SBR (Wireless) > Pioneer VSX 919 > Energy Take 5 Classic
5.1.

SBS 7.5.2 r31646 running on a Vortexbox Appliance, V 1.7.  Touch
w/Hardware V.5.  Touch: FW 7.5.1 r9218.  Duet: FW 66.