Flextreme:

Thanks for providing the details of your comparisons.

My impression (from comparing different speaker orientations,
admittedly a very different condition from your A/B trials) is that
listening to a variety of musical samples over extended periods of time
is essential for subjective differences to be perceived, regardless of
the judgment of whether such differences may be improvements or not.
When I used short (5 minute) samples of the same music, I could not
discern differences unless they were really gross.

My *-very subjective-* impression of soundcheck's mods *-in my system-*
(see below) is that the improvements (with FLAC decoded to PCM on the
server, in/outputs defeated, except digital, and screen off, but no
WLAN defeated) are not at all subtle when one listens over time to a
variety of recordings of various music genres. One of the parameters
that is most apparent is in the clarity of vocals, whereas previously
obscure words become understandable. A similar effect is noticeable
among different instruments in complex musical passages. Another effect
is that differences among recordings become more apparent. The overall
effect is greater 'musicality,' by which I mean what I hear is closer
to hearing a live, rather than a recorded, performance -- though, of
course, one is still aware one is listening to a recording, not to the
real thing!

Again, these are *-subjective-* impressions, and by no means do they
suggest that your comparisons or Phil Leighs's attempts at measurements
are not valid.

Guido F.

--
guidof

*Front End*: Marantz TT 15S1 Turntable, Virtuoso Wood Cartridge;
Cambridge Azur 840C CD Player; Oppo BDP--83 Universal Player;
Squeezebox Touch Music File Player (digital out to Cambridge Azur 840C
DAC)
*Preamps*: Conrad Johnson Motif (Phono); Adcom GFP-750 (Line)
*Amps*: Music Reference RM-200 Mk II (Main); Little Tube Mk III
(Phones)
*Subwoofer Equalizer*: DSpeaker Antimode 8033
*Speakers*: Martin Logan SL3s; REL T1 Subwoofer
*Headphones*: AKG K701