bluegaspode;602779 Wrote:
> Hi Flextreme,
> According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABX_test)  10 out
> of 16 times right missed the 95% confidence level, so still could be a
> result just by chance.

I think this is a fair statement. 10 out of 16 is far from conclusive,
like I explained, it was difficult identifying the mod in the blind A/B
test (which was extra difficult because of the 20 second delay.)

Phil Leigh;602782 Wrote:
> I'm working on it.
>
> Doing an a/b listening test is very hard because the 20 second reboot
> delay exceeds the aural memory window (by about 19 seconds!).
>
> Really you need 2 synced touches side-by-side to do this properly and
> to get anything like meaningful results.

Completely agree, this is exactly what I stated in my previous post. I
am looking forward to your findings.

guidof;602813 Wrote:
> Flextreme:
>
> Thanks for providing the details of your comparisons.
>
> My impression (from comparing different speaker orientations,
> admittedly a very different condition from your A/B trials) is that
> listening to a variety of musical samples over extended periods of time
> is essential for subjective differences to be perceived, regardless of
> the judgment of whether such differences may be improvements or not.
> When I used short (5 minute) samples of the same music, I could not
> discern differences unless they were really gross.
>
> My *-very subjective-* impression of soundcheck's mods *-in my system-*
> (see below) is that the improvements (with FLAC decoded to PCM on the
> server, in/outputs defeated, except digital, and screen off, but no
> WLAN defeated) are not at all subtle when one listens over time to a
> variety of recordings of various music genres. One of the parameters
> that is most apparent is in the clarity of vocals, whereas previously
> obscure words become understandable. A similar effect is noticeable
> among different instruments in complex musical passages. Another effect
> is that differences among recordings become more apparent. The overall
> effect is greater 'musicality,' by which I mean what I hear is closer
> to hearing a live, rather than a recorded, performance -- though, of
> course, one is still aware one is listening to a recording, not to the
> real thing!
>
> Again, these are *-subjective-* impressions, and by no means do they
> suggest that your comparisons or Phil Leighs's attempts at measurements
> are not valid.
>
> Guido F.

Again, I tend to agree completely what you are saying: when I just
started listening to music when the Touch was modded (without analyzing
SQ to death), many times I was struck by new insights, scale and drive
of the music, I was sucked into the recording, more so before the mod.
You describe exactly what my 'subjective' experience was.

Good to see that everyone understands that I'm not trying to impose my
truth or whatever: it's more of an personal journey then anything else.

--
Flextreme