Klaus, and anyone else who suspects that network comms are affecting SQ

I think it was Phil who offered a simple test.  Pull the ethernet cable
out of the back of your Touch while it is playing a track.  By
definition, all network comms will stop at that moment, but the Touch
will have around 40s of audio buffered internally (if you're streaming
FLAC, presumably less if streaming WAV, more if streaming lossy
compressed data), so you'll hear nothing but unadulterated playback of
buffered audio.

If pulling out the cable isn't practical for you, just wait until the
track reaches 40s from the end, at which point the buffer will stop
filling for about 30s (ie 10s before the start of the next track). I
guess that if you've only queued a single track, then even that final
10s will be free of network traffic too. (NB these are the
characteristics that I've observed on a Mac - it would be good to get
similar simple observations from servers on other operating systems)

This is surely a way for Klaus to gather wider feedback, since anybody
can do this, and he won't be limited to just those people with two
operating systems running.  I suspect that the same 40s quiet period
exists in wireless setups too (I'll check later), so the last 40s of a
track would be a nice place to test the effect of wireless comms.

So come on folks - let's help Klaus out here.  What differences do you
all notice during these golden 40s periods?

--
chill