nidfix;619480 Wrote:
> I start to think that a module is missing for my case.
>
> Can someone that successfully had Touch working and has access to a
> standard linux compare the outcome of "lsmod" just after the boot
> before connecting the USB Dac and after connecting it?
> I can clearly see that in my case it loads snd-usb-audio modules and
> some others of the same class. As these modules are missing on the
> Touch, that could explain why the hardware detects the device but
> cannot make it play.

There are no modules, on the Touch everything is compiled directly into
the kernel rather than as loadable modules, thus lsmod doesn't show
anything, that doesn't mean they aren't there, it just means they are
not loaded at run time but linked directly into the kernel.

A general purpose linux distribution HAS to use loadable kernel modules
because every body's computer has different hardware, it has to be able
to load the drivers for that specific hardware. Well all the Touches
are exactly the same hardware so there is no need for run time loadable
drivers.

lsmod tells you what loadable modules you have loaded, NOT what drivers
are active. On a system where everything is a module you can sort of use
lsmod to tell you what drivers are there, but with the Touch its pretty
much useless.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson