Thank you John for the feedback.
I had previously restored the default port described in the original
asound.conf. I actually started to play with aplay when I noticed that
after I did the configuration and rebooted the Touch it could not start
anymore until I disconnect again from the dCS (when I guess it
invalidates the fact that default output is the USB Dac...)

I will try with "-v" option in order to see if I fall into the case you
listed.

I wonder if the format of the "test file" is important (so far I did
not have any SD card to send new files, therefore I used wav files
available by default on the Touch OS). I will also bring my own audio
files that I know are regular 16/44.1 stereo files (most of the files
in the Touch are mono from what I can see)

--
nidfix