jbraveman;621550 Wrote:
> I'd like to try to use the touch in the car using a mini-ITX server.
> I'm going to have a professional do the wiring and mounting for me.
> What I'd like to know is if I need a router?  If so which one is a good
> choice? If not, I'd like to connect the touch via ethernet directly to
> the server.  If I do this, how will I need to configure the network
> settings on the touch to work?
> If the router is the best way to go, how should I configure my home
> wireless network, so it picks up the car network, when in the
> driveway?
> Thanks.

You shouldn't need a router. I assume you'll be using wired ethernet
between the Touch and server within the car itself. You should just be
able to directly wire the two to each other.

It would probably be nice, though, to have a wireless card in the
server (a lot of mini-ITX motherboards have onboard wifi) so that you
could connect it to your home network and transfer music files to the
server. Hard to say how good the wifi reception will be from inside the
car, I've never tried it. If the server is in the trunk you might have
to open the trunk to get a connection.

If you do plan to connect the server to you home network you'll want to
give the server static IP addresses on same subnet of your home network.
The wireless card and the wired ethernet port will use two different IP
addresses, and the Touch will use a third address.  Make sure that the
DHCP server on your home network (probably running on your home
network's router) doesn't hand out any of the addresses that you're
using in the car. Use addresses outside of the DHCP server's address
pool.

To configure the Touch to use wired ethernet it will need to be
connected via wired ethernet to something (it has to see a connection).
When you set it up, do so via wired ethernet on your home network. This
will allow you to update it to the latest firmware and is also
necessary to get past the myqueezebox.com registration step. To assign
a static IP address I believe you'll need to temporarily disable the
DHCP server on your network before connecting the Touch, otherwise it
will automatically use DHCP. When it fails to find a DHCP server, you
should be prompted to enter an IP address. You can turn the DHCP server
back on after the Touch has been configured.

--
JJZolx