JJZolx;621561 Wrote:
> You shouldn't need a router. I assume you'll be using wired ethernet
> between the Touch and server within the car itself. You should just be
> able to directly wire the two to each other.
>
> It would probably be nice, though, to have a wireless card in the
> server (a lot of mini-ITX motherboards have onboard wifi) so that you
> could connect it to your home network and transfer music files to the
> server. Hard to say how good the wifi reception will be from inside the
> car, I've never tried it. If the server is in the trunk you might have
> to open the trunk to get a connection.
>
> If you do plan to connect the server to you home network you'll want to
> give the server static IP addresses on same subnet of your home network.
> The wireless card and the wired ethernet port will use two different IP
> addresses, and the Touch will use a third address.  Make sure that the
> DHCP server on your home network (probably running on your home
> network's router) doesn't hand out any of the addresses that you're
> using in the car. Use addresses outside of the DHCP server's address
> pool.
>
> To configure the Touch to use wired ethernet it will need to be
> connected via wired ethernet to something (it has to see a connection).
> When you set it up, do so via wired ethernet on your home network. This
> will allow you to update it to the latest firmware and is also
> necessary to get past the myqueezebox.com registration step. To assign
> a static IP address I believe you'll need to temporarily disable the
> DHCP server on your network before connecting the Touch, otherwise it
> will automatically use DHCP. When it fails to find a DHCP server, you
> should be prompted to enter an IP address. You can turn the DHCP server
> back on after the Touch has been configured.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I use my home router to assign the addresses based on the mac address
from the high numbers down.  That way any new people coming on the
network should take the low numbers.

So I need to initially hook everything into my home network in a wired
fashion (server and touch) to setup.  I should also configure the wifi
as well at that time.  Then I should be able to put everything back in
the car and only hook the server to the touch via ethernet.

Any suggestions for a mini-itx case that can sit where the cd changer
is and hold around 4tb worth of 2.5 inch drives?

--
jbraveman