Hi Phil,
I'll make a closer study tomorrow and let you know what I find about
the default timing but, as it can happen at random at any point between
a few seconds and a few hours, it might prove difficult.
>From memory it does default around the point at which it changes tracks
but I would not guess as to whether it's at the end of one or the
beginning of the next. As an aide memoir I would remind you that many
of my tracks are from a portable HDD that a couple of friends and I
used to share musics and I subsequently found that many of them were
mp3 format after I'd loaded them. Others are FLAC files which have been
downloaded from FileMail and Dropbox and quite a few of those are hi-res
FLACs.
Hope this helps,
Dave.

--