I've had the touch for about 3 weeks, £170 was too good to say no to!
I'm pleased with it, the choice of radio stations is great, specially
as I listen so much to jazz. Been listening to TSF Jazz Paris jazz
station at 192kb and its been remarkably good. Amazing even. Dynamics,
tonality and musicality and PRAT are really good, with really deep
extended bass that is tight and powerful, very unexpected. Jazzfm at
92kb is very acceptable.

Strangely i have not been able to get radio 3 to sound good enough, my
Sansui TU-717 is on a different planet. But then the Sansui is better
than my £2000 cd player too, so its on a different planet to most
things.

Playing WAV files from a USB-tethered external hard drive, I would say
is decidedly average. My pre-power is excellent,TOTL Croft EL34 power
and Foundation Audio valve pre, and I'm using Lowther DX2 horns, and my
CD player, Newtonia Optia, I preferred to the Wadia's being demonstrated
when I bought it. I just compared Talk Talk's wonderful Spirit of Eden
on the CD player to the Squeezebox. Through the Squeezebox the WAV file
sounded relatively flat, lifeless, uninspiring, lacking dynamics,
tonality and a wealth of detail. And the sound stage wasnt up to much
either. I would guess that the right £50 CD player used on ebay would
match it, and my Arcam DV88 DVD player is certainly much better. Maybe
the Squeezebox needs more than the 50 hours burn-in it's had so far
from new. I am beginning to think that a DAC and some of the mods to
improve sound quality are going to be essential. I have high hopes of
improving the sound quality though, from what I've read.

In some ways my findings don't make sense, as the 192kb jazz station
was far better than my WAV files froma hard drive. any advice on this
much appreciated.

Any advice on DAC's of the bargain giant-killer used variety would be
much appreciated also.

Thanks, David

--
gilbodavid