Hello cparker. I'm not sure if you understood me. After 50-100 hrs of
running in the analogue section from new, the sound out of the analogue
section has suddenly transformed, form rubbish to very very good indeed.
By very good, I mean up there in the £1000+ cd player world. I have
£2000 cd player that is better but not by much, and inferior in
imaging. I am now very excited about bypassing the output caps, going
wired and ding the software mods. I think I'm going to agree with John
Swenson after doing so that the internal DAC is very very good indeed.

I'm playing through £5000 of valve pre power into Loather DX2 horns,
and separately Sugden A21 (amazing but selling on ebay I'm afraid) into
electrostatics. I am amazed at the 3D sound-stage, top drawer imaging,
and really spine tingling sound, especially through the electrostatics.
The only thing lacking compared to my reference is a full-bodied organic
texture to instruments. I would say in this department the internal DAC
is at about 70% of my reference.

I know that what I'm saying is not what most others are saying about
the internal DAC, but it makes me wonder if they'v run in the analogue
section. Before i ran it in i was dismayed by its sound quality and
preparing myself for a DAC purchase. Now i just want to bypass those
caps!

--
gilbodavid