umapati;640890 Wrote:
> I will be getting Squeezebox touch and a 2Tb network hard drive (Seagate
> STAM2000100 2TB GoFlex Home Network Storage System) from US next week..I
> dont know how to configure Squeezebox to play music from that
> harddrive..
> I will be highly obliged if somebody can help me..
>
> I have One desktop PC windows 7 Os with Altec lancing 2.1 speaker set,
> with Airtel supplied Beetel wifi router thru which i will connect this
> network drive. I also have a Macbook pro laptop..
> I am worried about- how to get my Squeezebox to play music from the
> entire collection stored on my above mentioned Network connected wifi
> 2Tb hard drive..
>
> I will be connecting the Seagate hard drive thru wifi router and my
> desk top pc is connected by LAN cable to that router.
> 1 - Will i need to connect this harddrive thru USB cable to my PC ? &
> 2- Will I need to keep my PC ON every time when i listen music stored
> on Harddrive or I can access files remotely thru Squeeze box & browse
> my network hard drive even if the PC is off ?
>
> Plz help..i am newbee..

First, it is not clear that you realize that the Touch is a music
player, but it needs to be connected to an amplifier and speakers to
make music.

The Touch is intended to play music that is "streamed" to it from some
external server.  Think of it as a component, like a CD player that you
would connect to an audio system.  But instead of having to load a CD to
play, the music is stored on a server elsewhere, and streamed to the
Touch over wired or wireless Wi-Fi.  The Touch lets you browse for and
select the music you want to hear, then plays it and sends the music
signal to your audio system, either through the RCA cables (analog) or
optical (digital)connections.
So you also need a music server running somewhere in order to listen to
your music.  The server is a computer of some sort that runs (hosts) the
server software and has access to the hard drive that contains the
music.  You could host the server on your PC and it will work very
well, but your PC will have to be running whenever you listen to music.
In this case, you would connect your hard drive directly to the PC.
The server software running on the PC will read the music from the hard
drive and stream it to the Touch, which converts it to a music signal to
play through your amplifier and speakers.
The Touch can not access the hard drive over your Wi-Fi network
directly.  It can only work with a music server that is connected to
the hard drive.

If you don't want to use your PC for the music server, there are many
other options.  It doesn't take a very powerful computer to work for a
music server, so a small NAS, or a Vortexbox, or an ATOM based
computer, or even a "squeezeplug" can be used.  You can read all about
these on this forum.  Most people try to find something that doesn't
use much electrical power, so they don't mind leaving it on all the
time.  You need to read up a bit on the various options and ask
questions and decide how you prefer to run the music server.
I would suggest that to get it running first using your PC and become
familiar with the music server software and the capabilities of the
Touch.  Then you can switch over to a NAS or Vortexbox or whatever
later, using your same hard drive with your music on it.

There is one more way to do it:
You can directly connect your hard drive to the Touch with a USB cable.
Then the Touch can play the music on the hard drive.  But to do this,
the Touch will be running a smaller version of the music server
software.  It will not be as responsive or have as many options as the
external server on a computer.  Some people do this and are very happy
with it.  It means you do not need any external computer or anything
running elsewhere while using the Touch.  Again, you can read about
this setup and try it out to see if it is to your liking.

I hope this helps get you started, and good luck with your new Touch.
I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Terry

--
TerryS