lake_eleven;660710 Wrote:
> Still after these mods, sound from analog out is noisy and fatiguing.
> After doing the following:
>
> 1. Coupling Cap mods (not done the best way though!)
> 2. Unmodded Jerome Labs PS to touch (will soon go to Bolder for mods)
> 3. Introduced a hub (cisco switch) before Touch
> 4. Changed PS to both the switch and router
> 5. All SoundCheck 2.0 SW mods
>
> Analog Out - Has more separation of instruments. More bass extension.
> Still harsh and fatiguing.
> Digital Out - No DAC, direct to Anthem preamp. Less separation than
> analog out. But less noisy, sounds more refined, but a bit congested.
> More importantly, less fatiguing.
>
> HENCE I WILL TAKE THE DIGITAL ROUTE NOW. WILL SOON ADD A SIMPLE/GOOD
> DAC. WILL THE COUPLING CAP MOD I DID AFFECT THE DIGITAL OUT?. SHOULD I
> JUST REMOVE THE COUPLING CAPS OR JUST LEAVE IT AS IT IS.

Leave it as it is - your cap mod does not impact the digital output.

I wouldn't get the PS modded until AFTER you have tried a decent DAC.
Even after that it may not be worth doing if you are using the digital
output. PS mods have much greater impact on the analogue output.

Also, I'd try both optical (toslink) and coaxial s/pdif connections to
the DAC to see which works best in YOUR system.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103
- full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5),
Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Belden Digital,Kimber
8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.