bitstopjoe;660773 Wrote:
> Ok I screwed up, UGH and I am usually SO damn careful. Have modified and
> built audio and PC stuff for 30 years now...
> When removing the cap on the left ( rca's on top) I pulled off the
> land it was sitting on. I guess I didnt wait long enough for the solder
> to melt before I lifted the cap leg as the land came with it.I was able
> to heat it up and attach it and short the leads.
> Of course after buttioning it up there is ZERO sound from the right
> channel.
> So any recourse?? OBVIOULSY it is no longer under warranty ( I have it
> since March of this year)so no point in contacting Logitech and have
> them laugh at me when I ask for a replacement/repair.
> So any recourse?? Ideas?? I would "assume" I would need to buy another
> and save this one for parts.
>
> FOLLOW UP...
> I am not one to give up so I opened my Touch for the 3rd time ( MAN it
> gets easy after the 2nd time :)
> Had my trusty DVM with me and saw where the land went too. I tested
> the one where the cap came off ( open) and then where the one that
> didnt. There was a gold test point right below where both caps were. I
> ran a small wire to the one below where the damaged land and checked
> with my DVM, bingo all works now.
> I can tell right away it sounds better without the caps. Dave Brubeck
> "Time Out" first track, the cymbals on the left channel never sounded
> so clean.
> WHEW....................................................
> Now I am ready to mod Touch's for others.. Of course I don't know
> anyone near me who wants that done.. Too bad as I am an expert in
> opening her up now, less than 3 min. I kept the ribbon cable attached
> but I did remove the two black and red wire connectors.

wow, nice recovery..... glad you are back in business. I too very much
notice the highs being very crisp and separated. Listening to Donald
Fagen, Morph the Cat, before the mod, the cymbals seemed to be all
mashed together...definitely not similar to my Pioneer stand alone CD
player. And it happened with nearly everything I was listening to with
the same mashing across all frequencies. This isn't the case now, there
is no question the mod has worked wonders for my setup.

I did take it apart again to add a piece of copper wire to each
channel. (had to cure the itch ya know,,,,,ha!) It didn't go smoothly
but I finally managed to get the wires placed between their respective
pads.

I bought one of these de-soldering irons from RadioShack:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062731

It did a fabulous job cleaning up the landing pads. The trouble was
keeping the tiny wire in place to get it tacked down correctly. It kept
moving all over the place. The solder sucker was used much and saved the
day. I finally finished with good solid connections, but I was worried I
may have porked the unit along the way.

Relieved and glad to say the Touch is running just fine and sounds
excellent...no better or worse than just using the solder bridge which
I kind of expected. One thing is certain......no more surgery for my
Touch.

--
Stilly77