It may not be your ears (only ) you said "old" dac I interpreted that as
"very old" as it did not have 24/96 and digital tech .

I think that Touch (or any modern source ) beats almost all the
brandname DAC's from early 90's .
Digital Technology has moved forward a lot .
And the old dac could simply be "old" and not perform to spec anymore
?

Normally I don't buy the myth off all fast and revolutionary
development in audio, I used 18 years old speaker until lately and
decades old amps.

But if anything does develop in a positive direction at all (sometimes
I doubt that to ) it is the digital side of audio.

Other things that does not relate to SQ directly have happened the last
decades IC's is evermore integrated, smaller, better and cheaper,
bringing down the price and size of the thing. The Touch would have
cost a fortune 15 years ago.
If one wants to be cynical you could say that it not possible to buy as
bad components as it where in 80's so even the cheap Chinese dvd player
will perform better than the designers ever hoped to achieve.

--
Mnyb

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: SB3 + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad 64gB wifi +3g with iPengHD & SqueezePad