Lugbutz;685463 Wrote:
> So I tested using a wired vs wireless connection today and the problem
> does indeed seem to be within the wireless configuration but not in the
> wireless network it self.
>
> As soon as I engaged the Wired Nic on the router,  load average on the
> Squeezebox dropped from > 1.9 to .5. All choppiness disappeared. This
> in my opinion is where the problem reside, on the Squeezebox and
> wpa_supplicant wireless software.
>
> Let me explain, in order to get a wired connection to the Squeezebox I
> installed a Wireless Bridged router next to my Squeezebox and then ran
> the Cable from the router to the squeeze. Essentially, I still
> streaming wirelessly to the Squuezebox, I have just offloaded the load
> from the SqueezeBox to the router.
>
> So the question I have is how do we fix that? Is it a bug in
> wpa_supplican or is the squeezebox under powered? I have not really
> looked but I am wondering if there is a lighterweight wireless software
> package that can be installed to test other options

In my experience, the wifi performance (antenna, etc.) of the SB
players is not nearly as good as things like laptops (or other wifi
bridges). I found the duet receiver to be the worst offender.  This
said, I do use two radios via wifi and get good response even when down
to 50% reported strength.

--
garym

*Location 1:* VB Appliance 6TB (1.10) > LMS 7.7.1 > Transporter, Touch,
Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Location 2:* VB Appliance 3TB (2.0) > LMS 7.7.1 > Touch > Benchmark
DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Office:* Win7(64) > LMS 7.7.1 > SqueezePlay
Retired: SB3, Duet Receiver
Controllers: iPhone (iPeng), iPad (iPengHD & SqueezePad), CONTROLLER,
or SqueezePlay 7.7 on Win7(64) laptop
Ripping (FLAC) - dbpoweramp, Additional Tagging - mp3tag